The Road King II: The complete specifications of the amplifier
Mesa Boogie Road King II Specifications for Humans
The Road King II in my opinion is a massive improvement over the old Road King Version one. I used to have a combo version one which could not only sound OK but it could break the backs of TWO roadies at the same time. Not recommended even with those wheels.
I had one of those some years ago and sold it within about 9 months.
The Mesa Boogie Road King II: click for larger image
Anyway here are the specifications of this amp along with mesa Boogie's Speak - other pages will get in to the whereforall and whatsits of this awesome amp. Checkout 'Timeport' in the video section which is using a Road King II for the lead guitar.
Series Two Road King improvements:
- Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed LoneStar® - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.
- All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the LoneStar® is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.
- Improved Effects Loops are both Series for seamless interfacing of processing.
- Hand built in Petaluma, California
- Multi-Watt™ Channel Assignable Power Amp (Patent 7,602,927) with Progressive Linkage™ (patent 5,559,469) featuring 4x6L6 & 2xEL34, which allows you to select either 2x6L6, 2xEL34, 2x6L6+2xEL34, 4x6L6 or 4x6L6+2xEL34 for Power Ratings of 50, 100 & 120 Watts! / 6x12AX7, 2x5U4
- Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
- 4 Fully Independent Channels with 12 Modes (Channel 1 =Clean, Fat or Tweed™, Channel 2 =Clean, Fat or Brit, Channels 3 & 4=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain) Each Channel features Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Master, All-Tube Long Spring Reverb, 5 Position Progressive Linkage Power Tube Select (choices listed above), Channel Assignable Dual Rectification with Recto Tracking™ (Diode or Tube Tracking – Patents 5,168,438 & 7,193,458), Speaker Output Select (Speaker Out A, B or A+B), FX Loop 1 and 2 Select (2-Series Loop On/Off Switches per Channel or Footswitch Assignable)
- Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Foot switchable Solo Level
- Control – Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated)
- Bold/Spongy “Variac” Switch (Patent 5,091,700)
- True “Hard” Bypass Switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
- Tuner Output with Foot switchable Mute
- Slave Out w/Level Control
- Fan Cooled
- External Switching Jacks for Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, Solo, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Tuner Mute
- 9 Button Footswitch (Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Channel 4, Tuner Mute, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Solo)
- Slip Cover
Road King™ FORMATS
- Head (Width 27-3/4 inches)
- 2x12 Combo • C90 Speakers • Casters (Width 28-1/2 inches)
Click for larger view
Mesa Boogie's Description
Nothing’s More Satisfying Than a Great Old Tube Amp.
Except a Fleet of Great Old Tube Amps. And That’s Exactly What the Road King™ is. Our patented Progressive Linkage™ provides five different all-tube power amplifiers which you can harness in any combination to the King’s four preamp channels to create – not a cyber mock-up, but the real, authentic circuits found in those classic amplifiers. Once in a while a product comes along that redefines its genre, changing the way we think, and ushering in a new era. The Road King™ does just that. This seriously over-the-top Recto® offers four discreet channels that each house an incredible three modes of hyper-tuned pre-amp expression. Yet as if all this shaping power wasn’t enough, the Road King goes on to revolutionize amplifier design by offering a unique dimension in channel switching: Progressive Linkage™.
This simple yet powerful concept allows you to assign different power amplifiers to each pre-amp channel …and footswitch between them. You can match any power amp to each channel and create your own fleet of dedicated, all-tube amplifiers from input jack to speaker, from 30 watts to 120. The Road King even lets you assign a choice of speaker cabs per channel! Colored LEDs on the front panel keep you informed of your channel selection and power combinations. But there’s more to power than wattage and tube types alone. It’s all about the feel. And part of providing a perfect power response is selecting the proper rectifier. This is the device that converts high voltage AC into Direct Current for the power tubes. And two of the Road King’s eight patents cover the rectifier choices available and the way they track.
Choosing Rectifier-Tracking in any channel matches the power
harness you have selected to the perfect amount of juicy rectifier
sag for the number of output tubes in use. Here’s how it works: When
you select one pair. Channel Strips, one per channel, repeat like a
console so it’s simple to learn and easy to use. Here you assign
Loops, Cabs, Rectifier Status and most important, Progressive
Linkage which offers these five power choices: 2x6L6, 2xEL-34, 2x6L6
plus 2xEL-34, 4x6L6 and 4x6L6 plus 2xEL-34. of output tubes, either
6L6s or EL-34s, Recto Tracking brings up one 5U4 rectifier tube for
enhanced low power bounce. When selecting two pairs of output tubes,
both 5U4 rectifier tubes are engaged to support the increased power
and retain the dynamic feel. And finally, selecting all six power
tubes triggers the tighter sounding, more efficient silicon diode
rectifiers to produce an authoritative 120 watts of headroom. And
just like the famed Dual and Triple Rectifiers®, you can over-ride
Recto-Tracking anytime by merely selecting the Silicon Diodes.
Imagine a bubbly Clean sound, using the incredible dynamics of a 50 watt pair of tube-rectified 6L6s. Now footswitch to the threshold-clean Brit voice on Channel 2, driving a pair of EL-34's for a chiming power clip. Or, if you need alternate clean sounds, set Channel 1 to Tweed and Channel 2 to Fat, choosing power amps for each that best suit your style. Applying Rectifier® Logic further, Channels 3 and 4 each include Raw, Vintage and Modern modes, just like the fabled Dual and Triple Rectos. But with the Road King you can combine each mode with any of five different power sections. For example, try strapping Raw to a pairing of EL’s and 6L’s for a snarling harmonic spread with British attitude. Or run Vintage, through four 6L6s, to cop the Dual Rec Solo Head exactly. And if you can stand more, hit Modern through all six power tubes, diode rectified, for a new frontier in crushing gain.
These few examples offer a mere glimpse into the incredible domain ruled by the Road King™ with Progressive Linkage™. Take the world tour of classic all-tube circuits from vintage to modern and on into the future. Understand, the Road King IS what modeling technology wants to be. Not algorithm simulations, rather combinations of the original circuits, using the real technology, to create the actual amplifiers. What would you rather play …a cyber mock-up? Or a fleet of real, hand-made, all-tube amps. The Road King™ is the new frontier, in authentic tube tone.
And you know what? They are absolutely right!
Click for larger view
Click for a larger view
Some images on this page are © Mesa Boogie.
© A B Mckenzie 1997-2018. All Rights Reserved